The Safari web browser contains a feature, enabled by default, which causes all files considered "safe" to be automatically opened once they have finished downloading. Safari considers the following file types to be safe:
- PDF files
- Text documents
- Disc images (.dmg files)
- Other archive types
- Open your Safari web browser by clicking on the Safari icon in the dock.
- Click on Safari in your Safari menu, located at the top of your screen. When the drop-down menu appears, choose Preferences.
- Select the General tab from the Preferences window, which is now overlaying your browser window.
- You will now see a check box labeled "Open 'safe' files after downloading", located near the middle of the Preferences window. If this box is checked, click on the check mark and verify that it is no longer active.
- Click on the red circle/x located in the top left hand corner of the Preferences window to complete the process. You will now be returned to your main browser window.
What You Need
- Safari web browser