The Bottom Line
- AllPeers lets you quickly share any and all file types without having to leave your Firefox window.
- There are no size limitations like those found in many other file transfer or messaging apps.
- Importing contacts from most major web and client-based email services is very easy.
- All communication within the AllPeers client is encrypted.
- AllPeers comes bundled with Firefox which is great for your contacts who do not have the browser.
- The client does not support using the same AllPeers account on different computers.
- AllPeers is still in beta and can be a bit buggy at times.
- The AllPeers Navigator, displayed in your Firefox sidebar, contains your contacts list.
- The Add a Contact button lets you import contacts from Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook, and more.
- When trying to share with a contact who does not have AllPeers, an email is sent telling them how to download the extension.
- Clicking Share on the toolbar opens the Share window in the Firefox sidebar.
- Files and/or folders that you wish to share can be dragged and dropped into the Share window.
- You can share a link to a web page by dragging and dropping the page's browser tab into the Share window.
- You can share most images from web pages by dragging and dropping the image into the Share window.
- When sending shared items, you are given the option to include a subject line and a text message.
- Download location and bandwidth speed can be set using the toolbar's Preferences button.
- When another user shares an item with you, a notification appears in the bottom right hand corner of your browser window.
Guide Review - AllPeers
Occasionally a new browser add-on comes along that really knocks me out. Sometimes it can be something simple but practical that I find myself using often and other times it can be something that changes the landscape of my day-to-day online behavior. AllPeers is the latter. I say this for several reasons, with the main one being the possibilities that it offers. No longer are you limited in any capacity when it comes to sharing files with friends, family, and co-workers. Also, sharing full folders as well as links to web pages can be done so easily and quickly that even a novice will catch on right away.
Adding all of your contacts from the major email providers as well as your applications such as Outlook is done with the same simplicity of the sharing process itself. AllPeers does the work for you at this point by contacting anyone you are trying to share an item with and, if necessary, letting them know how to install the extension for themselves. The interface is so well organized and the ability to view images and play media from within Firefox provides yet another reason why you never have to leave your browser window.
AllPeers is still a beta but I have been using it for quite some time now and it appears to be relatively stable and very safe. The developers are active on the support forums and they also seem genuinely open to new ideas and suggestions. This attitude along with the current state of this feature-rich product leads me to believe that things are only going to get better over time. Download AllPeers today and spread the word. You will not regret it!